The small business community is a strong and important part of the US economy. We wanted to highlight the best statistics from Small Businesses to celebrate Small Business Saturday.
Read the infographic to know; who is making purchases, average amount spent, what shoppers buy, how to maximize your participation and more! *Transcription below*
Small Business Saturday was found in 2010 to help small businesses compete with the bigger names which typically dominate both Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
Small Business Saturday Shoppers per Year
- 2012: 73.9 Million
- 2013: 74.7 Million
- 2014: 88 Million
- 2015: 95 Million
- 2016: 112 Million
- 2017: 108 Million
Age groups likely to shop on Small Business Saturday
- 18-24: 8%
- 25-34: 26%
- 35-44: 20%
- 45-54: 23%
- 55-64: 12%
Why the drop in 2017?
In 2017 foot traffic declined across the entire holiday season, including Black Friday as more customers went online to shop.
$700: The amount the average customer is ready to spend on the weekend between Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
64%: The percentage of shoppers who see mobile search on smartphones for product ideas before heading to the store.
What shoppers buy on Small Business Saturday
- 5% – Facial/Day Spa Services
- 4% – Stereos/Home Audio
- 2% – Antiques
- 1% – Business Suits
- 7% – Sporting Goods
- 7% – Personal Trainer
- 9% – Vaporizers/e-Cigarettes
- 9% – Sports Memorabilia
Why Small Business Saturday?
To build long-term awareness with customers
64% of survey takers shop on Small Business Saturday to support their local community
70% of survey takers shop on Small Business Saturday to create awareness among US consumers
Things to do
- Get Web Ready
- Check if all your online info is updated
- Extend your hours until 8pm or 9pm
- Prioritize Customer Service
- Stand out from the big names
- Join forces with other businesses
- Invite a celebrity
- Use hashtags on social media (#SmallBusinessSaturday)
- Create an Event
- (When in doubt “staff-up”)
Why customers prefer Small Business Saturday
- 61% Unique products
- 49% Find what I want
- 40% Support local businesses and community
- 29% Enjoy trying new shops
- 26% Better assortment of products
- 24% Innovative shopping experience
- 83% of customers find that the shopping holiday inspires them to “shop small” all year long
Small Business Saturday boosts your business in one day.
Reliant Funding boosts your business every day.
Apply to find out your funding offers today and expand your impact on Small Business Saturday!